Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, the former prince and King Charles’ brother, was arrested Thursday morning on suspicion of misconduct in public office.
According to the BBC, vehicles believed to be unmarked police cars arrived to Sandringham Estate in Norfolk early Thursday — Mountbatten-Windsor’s 66th birthday — where the disgraced royal has been living since he was ordered to leave his Windsor home following further revelations about his relationship with late sex offender Jeffrey Epstein. He is currently in custody as further searches are carried out in Berkshire and Norfolk.
The arrest comes after the Thames Valley Police said they were investigating a complaint that alleged the former prince had shared confidential material with Epstein. It marks the first time a modern British royal has been arrested.
“As part of the investigation, we have today arrested a man in his 60s from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office and are carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk. The man remains in police custody at this time,” a statement from Thames Valley Police reads. “We will not be naming the arrested man, as per national guidance. Please also remember that this case is now active so care should be taken with any publication to avoid being in contempt of court.”
In a statement following the arrest, King Charles said: “I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office. What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities. In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation. Let me state clearly: the law must take its course. As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter. Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all.”
Mountbatten-Windsor was stripped of his royal title in October over his ties to Epstein, and was mentioned and pictured many times in the over 3 million pages of documents — known as the Epstein files — released by the U.S. Department of Justice earlier this month.
Mountbatten-Windsor, who had a longtime friendship with Epstein and maintained contact with him after his 2008 conviction of procuring a child for prostitution, has previously apologized and denied any wrongdoing. However, he has recently faced renewed scrutiny as the new documents included a photo of him that appears to be with Virginia Giuffre, who alleged she was forced to have sex with him as a teenager, which he had insisted was doctored. In 2022, he reached a settlement with Giuffre that did not include any apology or admission of liability. Giuffre died by suicide in April 2025.
Love Film & TV?
Get your daily dose of everything happening in music, film and TV in Australia and abroad.
Earlier this month, Prince William and Kate Middleton released a statement about the latest Epstein documents. “I can confirm the Prince and Princess have been deeply concerned by the continuing revelations,” a spokesperson said. “Their thoughts remain focused on the victims.”
From Variety US
